Monday 29 September 2014

NIGERIA: How I emerged as Fayose’s deputy, by Eleka

EKITI State Deputy governor elect, Dr Olusola Kolapo Eleka Sunday revealed how he emerged the deputy in the recently held Ekiti gubernatorial polls.
  According to Eleka, his father actually nominated him for the position when the governor elect, Peter Ayodele Fayose approached him to be his deputy.
  The deputy-governor elect who spoke at the year 2014 annual general convention and ordination of 559 new pastors organised by Christ Apostolic Church, Alasepe, Ikire said he never dreamt of becoming a deputy governor because he was never interested in politics.
  He said, “I was a senior lecturer at the Obafemi Awolowo University. It was so sudden when I was invited to be the governor elect. I never aspired or contested for it. I was never a politician, but my father is a politician. Fayose called my father to come and be his deputy, but he said he is old. Fayose then asked him to choose somebody who would be loyal and work with him conscientiously for the progress of the state. My father chose me without telling me. He knew I was never interested in politics”. 
  “Later, I got a call from His Excellency, Ayo Fayose called me on phone that I should see him with my credentials”.
He said Fayose told him he had prayed and God told him that my dad should choose somebody to be his deputy. I have moved close to Fayose, he is a real prayerful man”
  The deputy governor elect expressed appreciation to the church for the invitation saying he was happy to be part of the Supreme Council because it is being led by a spirit-filled man, Pastor Gabriel Lagunju.
  In his message entitled “Evangelism” which was the theme of the convention, Pastor Lagunju advised the ordinands to work relentlessly for God and try to abide by the spiritual oath they had taken.
  He said, “you the new pastors were not ordained because of the lessons you went through, but because of the spiritual oath you swore to and agreed to abide by. If you fail to abide, it is not those who ordained you that should be blamed. It is between you and your God”.
 The new pastors came from different parts of the country.
Copyright: The Guardian