Thursday 3 September 2015

Enyeama withdraws from Tanzania's AFCON tie for "personal reasons", puts Oliseh in dilemma


Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh
Nigeria manager, Sunday Oliseh, has admitted that the late withdrawal of goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama from Saturday’s match in Tanzania has put him in a very tight corner. Super Eagles will face the Taifa Stars in Dar es Salaam in a 2017 Africa Nations Cup qualifier.
Enyeama said he withdrew for personal reasons but it is being suggested that the row he had with the Nigeria Football Federation over his comments regarding the safety of Kaduna for the June AFCON qualifier against Chad can be linked to the development.
On Wednesday Oliseh told the media after Eagles morning session training schedule in Abuja, “Enyeama asked to be withdrawn from this game, for which reason I don’t know, I think you have to ask him personally.”
He then added, “The late withdrawal has put me in a very tight situation because I must confess that the task ahead of us is a very difficult one and I didn’t need this extra burden.
“We’re practically starting this team from the scratch, it’s not very pleasant but that’s life.”
In Enyeama’s absence, Wolves goalkeeper Carl Ikeme is now tipped to make his Eagles debut in Dar es Salaam.
Ikeme said he hopes to reproduce for Nigeria the form he has displayed at his English Championship club.
“I will just try and do what I do in my club. I will not be under pressure but I will give my best. I am not going to try and be Vincent (Enyeama), but I will just try and play my own game and give my best,” he said.
Enyimba goalkeeper Femi Thomas has been called up following the withdrawal of Enyeama from the game.
Thomas was initially invited by Oliseh when the team resumed camping a couple of weeks ago but didn’t make the first cut after only five home based players were confirmed to join up with the foreign based players.
Ikeme and Sunshine Stars’ Ikechukwu Ezenwa became the only goalkeepers after the Lille goalkeeper decided to stay out.
Ahmed Musa has been tipped to captain the team on Saturday in the absence of the regular captain.
Italy-based midfielder Joel Obi was the first player to withdraw from the trip but had explained that he was not physically fit enough for the level of game.
Nigeria will fly out to Dar es Salaam on Thursday from Abuja for the game which has been scheduled to start at 2pm Nigerian time.
Eagles need a win to keep up with Group G leaders Egypt who will play away to Chad in Ndjamena. The Egyptians are leading by goals margin.
Copyright PUNCH