Friday 9 October 2015

Enyeama quits Super Eagles


Vincent Enyeama
Nigeria’s most capped footballer Vincent Enyeama quit the national team on Thursday after a clash with coach Sunday Oliseh over the captaincy of the team.
Oliseh on Tuesday stripped Enyeama of the captaincy of the Super Eagles and handed it to CSKA Moscow forward Ahmed Musa, forcing the Lille keeper to call time on his international career in controversial circumstances.
“I have fought a good fight for more than 13 years. I have finished my course,” he wrote on Instagram.
“I have kept the faith and sang the anthem with passion. Henceforth, there is laid for me a crown which only God can reward me for my 13 years of national service. God bless Nigeria.
“Henceforth, I am no more the captain of the Nigerian senior football team; I am no more the goalie of the team.
“I am out of the team. I am no more available for international duties. I want to say thank you to every Nigerian fan and supporter worldwide. It’s been the most trying period of my life but I know that Nigerians are there for me and God is with me.”
The Lille goalkeeper was discovered by former coach Adegboye Onigbinde in the build-up to the Korea/Japan FIFA World Cup in 2002 and the 33-year-old made his debut in a 0-0 draw against England at the Mundial.
“I discovered him during a game between Enyimba and Julius Berger at the M.K.O Abiola Stadium in Abeokuta,” Onigbinde said.
Enyeama went on to become a regular in the team competing in three World Cups, winning the Africa Cup of Nations title in 2013 and named best keeper of the tournament.
The former Enyimba keeper equalled Joseph Yobo’s 100 caps for Nigeria on March 25, 2015, in a friendly against Uganda in Uyo, then became Nigeria’s most capped footballer with 101 caps on June 13 in a 2017 AFCON qualifier against Chad in Kaduna.
That was his last game for Nigeria but ex-Eagles goalkeepers trainer, Joe Erico, believes the ex-Enyimba keeper still has a lot to offer.
“Enyeama should have waited for his exit to be celebrated.”
Copyright PUNCH.