Saturday 25 October 2014

Annie Okonkwo Rejoins PDP (Thisday)

Former deputy National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (South), Senator Annie Okonkwo has rejoined his former party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Okonkwo in statement made available to THISDAY after he was given waiver by the PDP to run for Senate, said he left APC because the platform did not observe internal democracy.
Okonkwo who represented Anambra Central senatorial under PDP between 2007 and 2011 after taking his seat in the Senate, was appointed to committees on Upstream Petroleum Resources, Police Affairs, Environment (vice-chairman) and Agriculture.
According to him, “I am now a member of the Peoples Democratic Party, the platform where I was elected to represent the people of Anambra Central senatorial district in 2007 and I am also contesting the senatorial election on the platform.”
Indigenes of Dunukofia, Anaocha and Awka North Local Government Areas all in Anambra Central senatorial district, had unanimously endorsed the reelection bid of Okonkwo to represent the zone in the Senate.
A stakeholder of the party in the district, the Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party in the council, Mr. Okechukwu Ekemezie, who said they decided to adopt Okonkwo because he distinguished himself among others vying for the position in the zone even before his election into the Senate in 2007. 
And because of Okonkwho’s achievement while in the Senate, Ekemezie said the 19 wards chairmen in Anaocha Local Government Area, Adazi-Ani I, Adazi-Ani II, Adazi-Enu I, Adazi-Enu II, Adazi-Nnukwu I, Adazi-Nnukwu II, Agulu I, Agulu II, Agulu III, Agulu IV, Aguluzigbo I, Akwaeze I, Ichida I, Ichida II, Neni I, Neni II, Nri I, Nri II, Obeledu I and others stakeholders reached an agreement of adopting Okonkwo as the candidate of the party.